Tuesday 12 April 2011

Death or Glory

I've been meaning to get round to writing a blog post for about a month but I don't really have much of interest to say, so i'm going to post something anyway.

I am still alive and still playing FML in Miller albeit with much less passion and intensity of days gone by.

I'm actually really enjoying it, I found my team languishing in the lower divisions of the OFA and have been slowly working my way up since then. I've gone for a different approach to the past by not copying the popular tactics, by not signing the players who seem to be good purely because they have a few key attributes, by not relying on corners etc.

I've done something quite revolutionary for me when it comes to FML. I've signed players who look like decent footballers and put them into a realistic and balanced 4-4-2 system !

Anyway, it's going alright. I've generally had the best side by ability most seasons but not really tore any leagues apart. I've had a couple of promotions, missed out on a couple but i've been there or thereabouts. I'm really enjoying being a middle of the road side oddly. I suspect I would probably be doing better if I employed some of the more popular tactical choices mind.

I really like the removal of JP and the addition of player reports and i'm even enjoying selling players back to the world - even though it's an idiotic idea ! (beta experiment)

I'm not really sure what's going on with FML these days though as you have probably noticed, and there's a lot of chatter and rumour on the forums, SI seem to have disappeared. I can understand the forum absence but the sudden end of beta builds is very strange, they used to be pretty much a daily occurrence but we haven't had one for weeks or maybe even over a month.

So are SI secretly preparing a massive update ? Are they going to stop development and leave the game as is ? Has Ov given up on it ? I don't know, maybe there's personal reasons behind it as FML seems to pretty much start and end with Ov.

Who knows, but it removes a lot of motivation to report bugs, to raise issues, to post suggestions as the project seems to have stagnated.

FML had (or has) so much potential but it seems like it needs much bigger developer commitment and more resources to ever touch the mainstream. I think it's in the best state ever as a niche game so why it was never advertised and promoted even through free mediums is bizarre. Unless of course they were waiting for it to become a mainstream game first ?

Oh well, I hope there's some secret developments going on and we are going to see glory not death for FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment