Thursday 13 August 2009

The proof is in the puddings

One of the primary reasons I sold my entire squad of superstars last season was because it became clear to me that having an amazing team was of no benefit whatsoever. Obviously in general terms the teams with the best players will be at the top and winning all the games but my theory was if you drop things back a couple of levels there is little difference. The ME/game just seems to put some restrictions in place to stop you panning everyone in sight and then you have the absurd league results which have no relation to your team anyway.

So 3 weeks ago I had no players left except some youths and not a great deal of money to spend. A quick calculation shows my current squad cost a measly £2.6m less 2 existing average quality youth players and a GK. The Aguero deal is difficult to value because it involved 3 decent youth players leaving. So lets call the team value £2.6m + Aguero.

My team is generally quite poor - To give an example, my AML is a chap by the name of Johan Absalonsen who's AF is £60k while my AMR has an AF of £200k. So how's it going with my team of duffers ? Exactly the bloody same as it did before! I'm still sitting a #3 in the world rankings, I still generally win most games, I still get super keepered every other game, I still get 1sw'ed with annoying frequency and I still get exactly the same results against the top teams and in fact of late have beaten them more so than before! It's pretty much back to the days of hit submit team and watch the result roll in within no tactical changes even required. There is no way my team should be a top team, it's just crazy.

I look at last season's squad and it was perfect in every possible way other than perhaps a stronger forward being needed, but then the one I had did have a 1 in 1 goal ratio in friendlies. I look at this season's squad and it's full of duffers with red arrows, youth players and a couple of decent players. Yet my results are exactly the same! It just proves to me that you don't even need a team of world class players for the result-o-generator to work it's magic.

I've been looking at some stats from my most recent matches. In my last 50 games or so I have not won (be it a draw or defeat) 10 games. Three of these games were fair defeats and one of those was against GW rank #1 while one of the others I had 10 men. In the other SEVEN I was either super keepered, 1-shot-wondered or both. It is literally nearly every game you don't win and it is most infuriating.

The usual FA bullshit is under way with random draws starting to crop up in FA games and the super league. I'm not even sure why I bother playing these, after 5,000 games played I can pretty much tell the other player what the score is going to be before kick off or if not within the first 15 minutes of the match.

I'd quite like to create my own FA, I had the idea some time ago but someone else gave me the name - the Non Bullshit Association or NBA. Basically it involves all games being played a neutral venue and no two-legged cups. Clearly i'd never be allowed but I think i'd be onto a winner if I could do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment