Saturday 5 September 2009

The new ME and life on the other side

So the new ME, I have been reading some self improvement books of late.... of course not! The 1.3 patch has finally been given a tentative release date and that of course sees the introduction of the new ME.

So I have been doing some testing on the latest build of the ME to see how my tactics work, if they work and what needs to change. I've read a few other previews of the new ME and everything sounds pretty positive but none of them really answered the questions I wanted to know.

Is it really 4-6-n0 more? Well it seems like 460 does actually still work reasonably well from my initial testing. Now I would point out here that I use a different version to the most common one that you see on the gameworlds and it still seems fairly solid. It doesn't work in quite the same way and i'm not sure if there will be any benefit to using it though. I also tried my own version of the most common version you tend to see, with the 3 central AMCs and this wasn't so effective. Well, it was a bit strange, it was either a huge win or a game where you would have about 3 shots on goal. The one certainty is it wont put an end to the 460 !

The other most common complaint is the number of corner goals we see on the current ME. I must say I was quite surprised by the number I was scoring on the new one - probably more so than I do now! Rather than a standard corner bang into the net the ball tends to drop first then someone else slots it in but I rarely saw a game which didn't have a corner goal or a goal from an indirect free kick onto a defenders head. This was with a defender who had 16 jumping and 15 heading too so i'd expect to see more with the higher attributes amongst the top DCs.

I haven't yet seen a super keeper and long range efforts seem more prevalent. I haven't seen a 3-0 up fucked it up yet either, but without team talks and the like on FML it's hard to judge how their removal effects the ME.

I've played something like 6,000 games on the old ME so it's impossible to draw any proper conclusions but I think those expecting something revolutionary and game changing will be sorely disappointed. It does seem much better of course, but it's not going to suddenly turn good teams bad and set pieces will probably still rule the day.

In other news I reactivated my second account and moved it into a different GW. I have to say it was very slim pickings on the initial squad front. Anyone even half decent and affordable who was under the age of 29 was already contracted. I think this links into a shrinking of available quality in the database. It's a bit of a problem really and makes it much more difficult for new teams to put together a decent squad. I went down the route of an old man squad who can get results with my youngest player aged 30!

I always thought those forum stories about newbies getting challenged by existing teams were untrue but seems they are not! On my first night I started getting these challenges from 3.5* and 4* teams ? I have no clue why they would do this, if they win they get no ranking points and if I win I get shit loads. I declined most of them of course but ironically the one that stuck in my mind was some guy who mailed me after I declined his challenge telling me to look at online managers to find games.. Anyway he's ranked in top 20 and I beat him in the Super FA today which amused me.

But the problem is, for a new team in an existing GW - There is nothing to do. It is so much worse than when you are an established club. I have 1* activity rating so if I play any friendlies I am just opening myself up to injuries and I can't afford a big squad. The change list claims activity rating has been changed from 3* to 5* for new teams which I find interesting seen as it's not currently 3* ! All the new teams are on 1* as far as I can see.

Then you are in a lower division league where have the teams have given up so you spend the entire season waiting for AI games which isn't exactly the best introduction to the game! The only people that seem to stay are those that get involved in chat in the lobby or their FA room because it's not like there is much else for them to do.

I was considering a big rant on ME related issues for small teams but I wont bother with that ;) The only thing I find interesting so far is how I am finding it MUCH easier to beat/draw with the 3*/4* teams but some of the other new teams are pasting me all over, even at home... I've taken apart most of the big teams I have played and had a few games they have been lucky to walk away with a point but the other small teams are doing me over pretty frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment