Tuesday 8 June 2010

The State of Things

Sorry, things have been a bit dull round here of late. I don't really have too much to moan about at present and there's not really anything I can be bothered putting the energy into ranting about right now.

The second run of the EFA finished last night with a rather tense and difficult finish. Had to stay up rather late to catch my last AI game as it was of vital importance after drawing with my title rival. Fortunately I won and took the league title but just 2 points ! So two EFA titles in the last two weeks for me, which is pretty good going and I assume this has sealed Premiership status for next season.

It's especially pleasing as I moved my captain on without replacing him and was hit by quite a lot of injuries this time round.

But I was chatting to my league rival who has a team far better than mine and he was telling me he was projected £13.4m. In contrast despite winning season 1 qualifying, finishing 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the second season and winning the first 2 runs far in season 3, i'm projected... £300k. I don't have especially high wages and haven't really made any huge transfer bids.

My mate explained it quite well when he said "you have made the mistake of buying good players who can win games" and in all seriousness, he is right ! My strategy of creating a team to win games will backfire now because I am unable to afford to strengthen my squad to compete with the teams that have £13m from their transfer dealings.

But that's the way I roll, I live by the next game and don't plan much further ahead than that! Take when my MC broke his leg due to Marc Duffy accidentally resetting the server, I could have got by for the second run without him and probably finished 2nd, but no, I went out and spent every penny I had to buy a replacement so make sure results didn't suffer too much. Bear in mind I still can't afford to turn my auto extends on at this point in time!

Maybe i'm stupid, I don't know... I reckon about 75% of my time playing FML my bank balance has been in the red. I'm constantly fighting fires and running away from the bank manager who wants his money back. If I was less impatient and actually came up with a plan I might finally be able to create my empire.... but the problem is I HAVE to win the next game at all costs, so I can't ever do it.

So with my £300k, I need to start building a stadium and improve the team to such an extent that I can beat the best of the best in the GW to win that too. Fortunately throughout my FML career, I have always had some uncanny knack of pulling money out of seemingly nowhere at the last minute, but £13m ? I don't think I can manage that!

4 comments:

  1. It's just incredible that someone can have £13m projected this early in the game and compete at the same level as you really.

    I guess it shows that trading one's way to success is the only way to go in the economic bubble FML is in right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was talking about this with a friend the other day... unfortunately, you can still make WAY more money flipping players than you can winning competitions.

    I think a large part of the problem is that player wages are staying stupidly low because player and team reps are limited for the first 3 seasons. Once players start asking for insane wage demands hopefully some of this money will start to fade but right now it is a problem :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mission statement of the restart was to put more emphasis on winning leagues and trophys... truth of the reset is it is the guys who won in the transfer market with the best teams and 'empires' winning early comps is just a way of keeping up with them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny thing is, if they *don't* sort out the ME I will be fine ! But if they sort it out there's a good change my team and tactics just wont work any more.

    ReplyDelete