Tuesday 13 July 2010

Stayin' Alive

So here's another tactical insight for the night, seen as i'm still feeling generous.

What to do in games you are losing ? What to do in games you are playing really bad in ?

First off, use the tactical changes I have suggested in my recent post.

But, the main thing you should do to comeback and win a game is - nothing. The ME is that cool. There is a kind of logic to it I suppose. Do not panic, have supreme confidence you are going to win the game no matter what the score is, i've seen it all on FML, anything is possible.

Do not go attacking.
Do not make pointless subs.
Even consider going more defensive - as in playing narrower, FML makes that much sense!

Look back at your recent results, how many games involved a clean sheet? FML doesn't like clean sheets. You are more than likely going to score a goal, once you get one, the flood gates will probably open.

For no apparent reason, the losing team always seems to get a massive boost around the 50th minute regardless of what player confidence is doing. This is the time you are likely to score and should exploit this, once one goes in your team will keep hammering forward without you having to change a single thing. You just need to wait for this period of the game and don't make things worse prior to this.

At half time, you can sub off one player who is averaging <5.x. Do not sub defenders, do no bother subbing your DM, NEVER sub your money man striker. Do not sub your corner taker (assuming you have a good one)

If you have had lots of long shots, make sure you go turn them onto rarely in all individual player instructions.

Lets take some examples.

Game #1 - It's 1-1, i'm away from home, i'm playing awful. I've made all my tactical changes and some sensible subs but nothing has changed, nothing is working. My main striker is having a mare, i've had players off injured and i'm struggling. Kept calm, stayed on standard strategy, play narrow, pump ball into box. Then it comes, it always comes... 80th minute they get a player sent off. Your time is now. Take off narrow and go attacking, score 2 goals in 4 minutes and the game is won. Wait for the opportunity, there's always an opportunity, then exploit it.

Game #2 - I'm away to 3rd position, who look like a strong team. I'm 2-0 down and generally getting a pasting. I've done my normal tactical changes but nothing else. 70th minute I get my goal, you always get a goal, FML doesn't like clean sheets. Do nothing, 86th minute I equalise. I know the game is now won as a 93rd minute corner goes in.

Obviously this is less likely to work if you are about 4-0 down, but if you are playing my away tactics then that isn't likely to happen.

I'd suggest having some inspiring mp3s to listen to at the time.

Mitigate comebacks against yourself by playing as I have suggested previously.

So in summary, don't spunk your load too early. Just sit back, wait, and the wonder which is the ME will do most of the work for you. Don't lose games by making pointless tactical changes, don't bother going attacking unless it is appropriate.

3 comments:

  1. The sad part is, this is actuallu true...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the other manager feel about game #2? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect he would have felt how I have on numerous occasions, except he was offline :p

    ReplyDelete