Sunday 9 May 2010

Jump Around

Andreas over It's A Numbers Game at kindly sent me some of his data last week. I have decided to create some graphs to show the relationship between attributes and average ratings.

The following is for the DC position only and is based on data of 1173 players, I believe from GW Sanchez.

Jumping vs Average Rating



Strength vs Average Rating



Tackling vs Average Rating



Marking vs Average Rating



Positioning vs Average Rating


Concentration vs Average Rating


I've checked most of the attributes and the only ones which seem to actually have much of an effect on a DCs average rating are jumping and strength. I may have missed one or two as I didn't check them all, but I checked all the obvious ones.

As you can see, key defensive attributes like tackling and marking have no effect whatsoever on average rating. I stuck a couple of metals in there and again you can see that they don't do anything either. They also don't have any effect at all on the number of goals you concede per game.

So lets have a look at how attributes effect goals conceded. This is based on the average number of goals conceded per game.







WOW ! We have found a non-physical attribute which does something ! Concentration !! Interestingly you see here that while high jumping leads to high average ratings it does not lead to less goals conceded. The only things I can find which really seem to impact this much is stamina and concentration (there may be others, not checked them all)

No surprise that again tackling and marking have absolutely no effect whatsoever. As I have been banging on about for a long term, physical attributes don't do anything ! (This isn't quite true for other positions as I have found out though)High tackling actually appears slightly detrimental, although this is likely that because there's fewer players at the higher end of the scale who happen to be bad in other areas.

So, what have we learnt here today ? Nothing new as it happens.

- Tackling & Marking = useless
- High average ratings = Jumping & Strength
- Less goals conceded = Stamina & Concentration.

Just a quick note on form again.

Beta team has won 2 in 20, I am to be fair the worse team by a long shot. Guess who the two wins were against ? 1st and 2nd of course ! 1st is probably one of the best teams I have seen on FML - a full team of RS with Kaka and the likes. He smashed me 8-1 away. I won 3-0 at home.... I also beat 2nd 4-1. The boot is on the other foot this time. I signed Lavezzi to keep me up with 2 games left to play, alas when I signed on the game had already been started against me. One game to go, looking bad :(

1 comment:

  1. An interesting post. I've long been advocating that jumping is the most important attribute for a DC as it influences their ability to make interceptions, i.e. to win the ball before they have to make a tackle. Being efficient in making interceptions effectively means your team gets two attempts to win the ball. I've always maintained that if my defender is having to make a tackle, he's already in the shit.

    That said, your stats on the (non)-effect of tackling/marking are an interesting concern as well...

    ReplyDelete