Tuesday 18 May 2010

Roll With It

Been trying to follow my plan to keep it tight finances wise and generally been disregarding the transfer market other than the odd bargain here and there. I bid £975k for a MC earlier, Inacio Piatti, he negotiated me to £1.4m so I thought, keep it tight and withdrew the bid. Around 20 minutes later he sells him for a staggering £2.3m !

So i'm keeping it tight, all is well, then half hour later I set the joint 6th highest GW transfer on a player who I know isn't actually that great. What's wrong with me ? £2.8m spent on one player who's far from a game winner !

I figure there's not much choice if I want to compete next season. One of my biggest failings on FML has been a lack of dynamism in moving players in/out and getting stuck with players I can't sell. So I guess if I can't beat them, I may as well just roll with it and see what happens.

I'm doing alright though, won the season 1 qualification league outright, finished 4th, 1st and 2nd in the EFA runs so i'm definitely going to be towards the top of the deck in reputation terms so I may as well treat myself. Senior team is ranked 22nd and my youth team has silently moved into the top 15 without any fuss. The youth team are pretty much all high potentials according to my admittedly rather inaccurate JP2 readings so hoping to bring a few of those through.

I have some tough decisions to make too, I can't decide if I should keep some of my duffers who perform so well or just release them (can't sell them) to cut wages down a tad more. I have a 30 year old MC, AF £26k, £2.5k wage averaging 7.00+ (no jumping hacks!)who has a 1 in 4 assist ratio. But he's getting loads of reds, I can't decide what to do. I have several other players in this kind of situation too, more contemplation required.

I've been thinking as well, why is it my AI is so awful and loses most matches ? Why is it that when I play teams playing the same formation as me, home or away, i'm nearly always the best team even if they have better players than me. I actually play a more defensive version of my tactics away from home and I very rarely issue any extra attacking instructions and only use "standard" strategy. So it's not a case of overloading them or anything like that.

My AI has a 36% win ratio whereas I have a 58% win ratio in official games, or 70% in unofficial games. I must conclude this is tactic related but I have a basic match plan to replicate my most common changes. So I conclude the difference relates to the individual player instructions I deploy every game. Not sure I want to give this one away if this is actually the case as I know very few, if any, managers are doing this like I do!

2 comments:

  1. I am praying for the day si let us add basic player instructions to match plans. like if opponent plays 3 strikers mark flc with right back and frc with left back. close down playmaker etc etc. also instructions like if opponent dominates possesion drop deeper. these things are what makes ai teams and more casual managers weeker.

    ps 2.8m ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I have money in the coffers it's like I HAVE to go and spend it. As I just posted on my own blog http://durhamcityharriers.blogspot.com/(shameless plug) I recently moved from Ramos to Lemerre and despite promising myself I wouldn't spend any money til season 2 and that only if I could get a sensible wage auction I went and splashed 14k a day on Jonas Gutierrez who literally can just dribble and run.

    In relation to your well performing duffers if your still at a level where they will continue to get a 7+ average i'd hang onto them for a season or so and save some money for someone really good(yes I realise that goes against what I just said but then I never was any good at following my own advice!) Its just I don't personally like alrering my team too much, last time I tried even though the players brought in appeared loads better I crashed my form big time. I suppose its a fine line between improving yuor team for the level your at and not disturbing the squad too much!

    ReplyDelete