Tuesday 11 May 2010

The Kids Aren't Alright



I have high hopes for this lad I found on the free agent list recently. He's gained 3-4 in some attributes already and he's looking pretty good ! Technically he actually looks better than my second best senior defender.

Youth attributes seem crazy high at the moment, especially for such young players. I reckon my youth team could do a job against a lot of senior sides, i'm just too scared to risk it right now! As i've been a bit fed up lately I haven't really bought or sold anyone so I think it's time to do a clear out for the 3rd run of the EFA which will no doubt end in disaster! Barely had any injuries at all so far so quite a few can go.

Speaking of DCs we know that jumping is the attribute to watch for to make them average well. I have had a gander over the anomalies in the data, the players with high jumping but a poor average rating to see what they have in common. The results are pretty much what you would expect in that they all have low pace/acceleration and especially agility!

I've been looking over the striker data again trying to work out how to sign the perfect striker. I won't do any more graphs as the data analysis thing is Andreas' bag but I am rather confused by it at all.

There's a couple of issues with trying to make any sense of the data too. If you look at DCs they are pretty much going to be unaffected by tactics in terms of how they perform as it's a fairly standard position and most teams play 4 at the back. But when you look at strikers there's all sorts of variables, how many are playing up front ? What formation ? Support or attacking ? I find in my own formation with the way I have it set up that only 1 of my players tends to score many goals. So it depends who is playing where on what they are going to score.

So, what attributes effect a strikers average rating ? Actually, pretty much none of them ! We all know that jumping does but none of the attributes really have a significant link to a players average rating.

So what does effect it ? Rather obviously, it's goals scored.

So what attributes effect goals scored ? Pretty much all of them ! Any attribute you would associate with being a good striker, including technical ones, like finishing, have a significant increase on the average number of goals per game scored.

The reason i'm confused is, based on this, I can't work out how some of my strikers have been able to score so many goals considering I have long advocated physicals over technicals but the data simply doesn't support this to be true.

So if you are looking for a striker what do you need to look for ? First off, i'd suggest ignoring average rating. While this may seem odd, it's only linked to goals scored, and goals scored is linked to how and where the player is played. Clearly a player with a high average rating will also be good, but likely more expensive. I wouldn't be put off by a player that has a poor scoring record if the attributes look good. The only attributes which don't really seem to do much are bravery, determination, influence and team work.

There doesn't seem to be any secret to the perfect striker, good players will score more, simple as that. It's almost every single attribute that has an effect on it, they higher they are the more they score.

I suspect it's likely linked to CA and hidden attributes in a significant way (obviously, attributes are linked to CA but you know what I mean). If I had some names from a RS GW I think I could do a vlookup on a FM10 DB extract to compare to CA.

ME 1 - T-Bag 0

No comments:

Post a Comment