Sunday 16 May 2010

Teenage Kicks

I'm not entirely sure I can rant on behalf of an opposition manager, but I know i'd have been straight on here if this had happened to me.

So i'm 1-0 up in the league at the home, and my GK gets sent off - if you watched my video the other week, i'm sure you are aware my GK is a crazy fool. I don't have a reserve GK on the bench so I decide my best course of action is to put a 15 year old striker in goal. Since moaning about youths being too good, I figure, if you can't beat em, join em, so I currently have a 15 year old in my strike force. Shortly afterwards I go 2-0 up. He only just manages to draw 2-2 with me with a last minute equaliser.

Anyone played FM10 ? It's pretty good actually, I really enjoyed it, it's much better than FM09, 3D is good and the ME is fairly sensible. If you know the tricks of FML then you will destroy everyone in sight, but that aside and assuming you do normal things you generally get sensible results. But the line which is normally trotted out is that FML is the same engine.

Great, but it's not the same car is it ? It doesn't work in the same way. Lets talk about engines, what about the VW 1.8T engine, I had one of those in my Golf, it was pretty nice, get it mapped and the BHP is pretty handy. (it was swapped for a Renaultsport which I raged into an Astra/Fence, but that's another story i'm sure you don't want to hear about ;) ) But it's the same engine which is in a Passat and about a dozen other cars including various Audis Does it handle the same ? No. Does it drive in remotely the same way? No. Does it have the same acceleration ? No. Does it have the same gadgets and features ? No. Engines are tuned for the car they are responsible for.

FML throws up so many different scenarios that the ME on FM10 simply doesn't encounter such as all youth teams. I could probably name half a dozen FM10 inputs of the top of my head which simply can't be in FML or must be set to some default setting.

I distinctly remember a conversation I had about 3 weeks before GWs reset with a fellow unnamed rager on beta. I was beating him 8-5 or something completely stupid and we were discussing how people were going to go mad when they realised how bad the ME actually was. I suggested that it would be fine for the first season or so when people had the random initial pools but people would soon realise it's equally as bad even when you start to get better players with results all over the place.

So what's happening now ? I don't even have to moan about the ME because everyone else is ! In a rather sell out fashion i'm actually rather reluctant to actually say what I think about this because i'm aware that too many people seem to read my crap these days.

But people are complaining about issues which were raised by myself and others over 6 months ago and they were dismissed. Giving feedback on the ME seems to be like talking to a brick wall, a perfect brick wall ;) The FM10 crew and testers seem to be treated as the the special ones whereas us FML people are treated as crazy people who don't know what we are talking about. The very reason I restarted this blog was because the ME in beta was pissing me off and I couldn't get anywhere on the forums, so I decided to just rant instead.

In reality, a competitive environment like FML is always going to highlight any potential weaknesses and problems over FM10 playing against the CPU.

We need our own ME tbh, or the one we used to have pre reset ;)

1 comment:

  1. The assumption seems to have been made, reading between the lines, that if wierd stuff happens in FML it's because we're all lunatics using 9 players with free roles, entire team on hard tackling, and playing the entire match with an Overload strategy, very fluid, and masses of creative freedom everywhere. That FM10 provides a truer picture, and the stats from that don't lie.

    The reality is very, very different.

    I'm also now, having tested this extensively in beta, utterly convinced that tactics don't matter one jot. The ME attacks and defends based on three things:
    1. Morale (including form, etc. Hidden att stuff.)
    2. Formations
    3. Matchups (who is better in a head-to-head player battle)

    I'll actually do a more extensive post on that in my own blog (shameless plug for gulfinclass.blogspot.com ) when I can be bothered, which will hopefully be just after I finish eating what I'm about to cook!

    ReplyDelete