Thursday 22 April 2010

Better Man

Why didn't you win the league this season ?

Is it because:

A) The teams finishing above you won more games
B) You lost more games

The answer is B.

Why didn't you win your last game ?

A)The team which won scored more goals
B)You didn't score enough goals.

The answer is B.

I applied for another job recently, I didn't get it. Was this because the person who applied for it was better ? (they were) or because I wasn't good enough. It was because I, ME, MYSELF wasn't good enough.

Now consider just about every FML whine of late, corners, 433, initial squad farce - Look at what YOU are doing wrong. It is YOUR fault that someone playing 433 is beating you, it is YOUR fault that someone is scoring more corner goals than you.

So some teams have restarted and signed up loads of players who were dispensed by the pools reserved the teams which never signed in. SO WHAT! There's some good players available for sure but there's nowhere near enough to create some super teams, there's not 100s of wonderkids available as some will have you believe. There's not even any bids on half the players i'm going to sign and i'll bet my left bollock that all of these teams don't end above me next season. In fact, i'll bet both seen as it's impossible as they will be in a lower qualifying group.

How about, instead of worrying what players other managers have, you worry about what players you have and perhaps spend less time whining about it and more time doing something about it. Even if you finished bottom of the league you should still have been able to sign enough players to be better than these restarting squads.

Apparently ALL of the best players have now been taken by all these restarters, but you could quite easily put together a team from the free list good enough to destroy the bottom qualifying tier.

So what of these 'dirty restarters' ? Nice plan ! I'm afraid maybe these managers were cleverer than you and thought outside the box to come up with a plan to beat you. I haven't restarted but we (my FML buddies) actually discussed this in the first week of the season. We suspected this could be a very viable strategy if the first season went wrong. As my pool was awful I suspected I would have to do this myself, but I managed to turn it round with some signings and win the league.

We came up with this idea by thinking about the game, thinking about what WE were going to do rather than worrying about what OTHER PEOPLE were doing.

So what if they sell a player on for a huge profit ? It doesn't affect you, sort your own house out before moaning someone has a better one than you.

The information is out there. Don't take for granted what mods tell you in game as they are often wrong. They have been going on about season 3 being the unlock date for a long while but this was obviously wrong. Go look on the forums, read every thread, understand every little detail of the game and do anything and everything you can think of to make your team the best they possibly can be.

People want everything handed to them and just look to blame everyone else for their own failings. Fix this, fix that, it's not fair ! You fail at anything in life because you are not good enough, not because someone else is better than you.

Even little things, like when the auto patch server was down the other night. I explained how to bypass this and get into the game, but everyone just ignores me and whines about it being down instead. You could have fixed this yourself!

As for last night before the fix when they were instantly signable. Best night of the game so far... it was great fun. There was scandal, chaos, activity, fun, banter... This is what it's all about !

With the audience FM has always had I suspect many managers are not familiar with the cut-throat nature of online gaming. You must do everything and anything possible to get ahead right down to the most minute detail.

2 comments:

  1. I've taken a youth-centric approach in Happel, with a few senior pros. I was delighted (and a little surprised) to get off to a decent start in season 1.

    I got really wound up when I hit a bad spell, exactly as you describe (stupid 433).

    But then I decided to take some responsibility. I spent a couple of hours going over MY tactic, making minor adjustments to better suit my team, and its level compared to my competitors. I dropped some previously star players who clearly weren't all that hot.

    And now? Unbeaten in 7 qualifying matches, projected to finish 4th or 5th. A great result for a youth team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished 12th in the first season. Yet I haven't restarted.

    You may ask why then?

    I'm new. I really like my team, it's taking shape. I won't be restarting just because the 1st season was rubbish.

    I'm not bold, I'm not big. But I'm taking back some money, signing great players, straightening the team, sorting out defence.

    And I'm going to stick with it. No restarts.

    ReplyDelete